First Nations children can get more hours of subsidised care

If you want to use child care, the Australian Government helps cover the costs. It’s called Child Care Subsidy, or CCS.

On this page:

The government pays child care services, who pass the subsidy on to you as cheaper fees.

The amount of CCS you get depends on a few things:

  • your family’s income
  • the type of child care you use
  • your child’s age
  • the number of children in your care
  • the hours of activity you and your partner do.

Your hours of activity are the hours of work, training, study or volunteering you do.

Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander children get at least 36 hours of CCS per fortnight. This is regardless of the amount of activity you do.

  • This may make your child care fees cheaper.
  • Young ones can prepare and be ready for big school.
  • You have more access to child care if you need it.

What you need to do

You should tell Services Australia that you have an Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander child in your care if you would like to get at least 36 hours of subsidised care. It is voluntary to tell Services Australia this.

You can update your details with Services Australia via:

  • your Centrelink online account through myGov 
  • the Express Plus Centrelink app.

You do not need to do anything if you already get more than 36 hours of subsidy. Your family’s CCS rate will continue to be based on your income.