Contact Us

If you have a question or would like to give feedback, you can get in touch with us online, by email, phone or by mail. You can also find us on social media.

On this page:

If you or someone you know is in crisis or danger contact an emergency support service.

For general enquiries, please use our online contact form or you can contact the department via the channels below.

Online contact form

For general enquiries relating to Education or Child Care.


If you wish to make a complaint to the department, please visit the Complaints page, contact the department via one of the contact points below or send your complaint via post.

For further information on the department’s Complaint Handling Policy, please visit the Complaints page.


The Switchboard is responsible for directing all telephone calls received from members of the public, external stakeholders and clients, to the appropriate destination/recipient.

Phone: 1300 566 046

Education general enquiries

To assist with general enquiries relating to:

Phone: 1300 363 079


International Education enquiries

Supports Education Services for overseas students, general information on overseas qualification assessment (general purposes non-trade) and general information regarding international education.

Phone: 1300 615 262


Report a cyber security vulnerability

Our security vulnerability disclosure policy gives security researchers and the community a point of contact with us. We encourage you to tell us if you find a potential vulnerability within our systems, services or products.

The Department's Vulnerability Disclosure Policy is managed by the Department of Employment and Workplace Relations (DEWR). For details, please see DEWR's Vulnerability Disclosure Policy.

Child Care enquiries

Speak to the Child Care Subsidy (CCS) Provider Helpdesk

The CCS Provider Helpdesk is our frontline support centre for child care providers and services seeking answers.

Call 1300 667 276 Monday to Friday 9 am to 5 pm (AEDT) or send an email anytime to

Contact the Additional Child Care Subsidy team

Child care providers and services can email the Additional Child Care Subsidy (child wellbeing) team at directly to enquire about determinations, further evidence requests and more.

Contact your state or territory regulatory authority

Regulatory authorities administer the National Quality Framework in each state and territory. The Australian Children’s Education and Care Quality Authority provides contact details for each state or territory regulatory authority.

Report illegal or fraudulent activity

If you know a child care service is doing something illegal or fraudulent, you can provide information to us anonymously. Call 1800 664 231 or email the tipoff line at to report an issue.

Join our Facebook Group

The Child Care Subsidy approved providers and services Facebook group is a place for providers and services to get information about the Child Care Subsidy, Family Assistance Law and other Australian Government-led early childhood education and care policies and programs.


Families wishing to discuss the Child Care Subsidy should contact Services Australia on 13 61 50.

Families looking for child care should visit the Starting Blocks website.

Media enquiries


Postal address

Department of Education
GPO Box 9880
Canberra ACT 2601

Assistance – TIS and National Relay

Translation Services

If you have difficulty speaking or understanding English call the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS National) on 131 450 for the cost of a local call.

Ask TIS National to call the department on the appropriate number listed above.

National Relay Service

The National Relay Service (NRS) is a government initiative that allows people who are deaf, hard of hearing and/or have a speech impairment to make and receive phone calls.

Call 1300 555 727 (speak and listen) or go to the National Relay Service website for other options.

Follow us

You can follow us on social media.

Browse the full list of departmental social media accounts.