Find government programs, initiatives and resources to help with your studies.
On this page:
Financial support for students
The Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) has 4 different loan scheme that provide support to students.
- Learn about changes to HELP
- Information for students
- Information for providers
Find a course to study
Tools to help you explore and choose a course to study.
- Course Seeker
- Your Career
Apply for a Unique Student Identifier
If you are starting university as a new student in 2021, you will need to apply for a Unique Student Identifier (USI). USI’s are:
- Required for a Commonwealth supported place and a HELP loan
- With you for life
- Easy to create
Support for students with disability
The Higher Education Disability Support Program helps universities improve access for students with disability.
- Eligible funding activities
- Program changes
- Evaluating the program
Supporting Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander higher education
Find programs and funding that support Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander students to participate and succeed in higher education.
- Closing the Gap
- More opportunities for indigenous students
- Policies and programs
Support for universities to enrol students from low SES backgrounds
The Higher Education Participation and Partnerships Program (HEPPP) provides more opportunities for regional, remote, low SES and Indigenous students people to access university.
- 2021 Reform of Equity Funding
- The current Program
- Partnership projects and priorities
Help accessing Higher Education
Programs exist to help students access university who:
- Live in regional and remote areas
- Identify as indigenous
- Are from a low socio-economic status (SES) background
- Have a disability
Destination Australia: scholarships to study in regional Australia
The Australian Government provides funding through Destination Australia to help tertiary education providers fund scholarships for students to study and live in regional Australia.
- Scholarships available to domestic and international students
- Information on Destination Australia 2021
- Check your eligibility
Funding for research students
Research block grants provide funding to eligible Australian higher education providers for research and research training.
- Learn about the Government's block grants
- Current and previous programs
- Use research block grant data-sets
Supporting students to relocate for study
The Tertiary Access Payment (TAP) is a one-off payment:
- to school leavers from outer regional or remote areas
- who relocate more than 90 minutes from their family home
- to undertake full-time, higher-level tertiary education.
Tuition protection for students
If you are a student and your private provider stops delivering your unit or course, you may be eligible for assistance under the Tuition Protection Service (TPS).
- What the TPS is
- When you would receive help under the TPS
- Replacement units and refunds for your study