The Australian Government and states and territories today jointly announced a national approach to supporting the development needs of preschool children.
A new Preschool Outcomes Measure will be developed and trialled nationally in 2025. It will help educators better understand children’s early learning and development in:
- oral language and literacy
- executive function.
The Preschool Outcomes Measure will support and streamline teachers’ and educators’ existing teaching practices. It will align with existing frameworks including:
The Preschool Outcomes Measure will provide a nationally consistent framework for teachers and educators to:
- understand a child’s strengths and capabilities
- plan the next steps in a child’s learning and development
- meet National Law requirements for assessing and documenting children’s learning
- minimise workload through streamlined processes.
The tool will be developed throughout 2024 in consultation with teachers, educators and education experts. A national trial will take place in selected services in 2025.
The Preschool Outcomes Measure is a key reform under the Preschool Reform Agreement. It's a joint initiative of the Australian and state and territory governments.
To find out more about the tool, consultation process and trial visit our Preschool Outcomes Measure webpage.