Establishing eligibility for child wellbeing

Before applying for Additional Child Care Subsidy (ACCS) child wellbeing on behalf of a family, you must take steps to establish their eligibility. You must also ensure the child is enrolled correctly so the subsidy can be paid.

On this page:

Families must be eligible for Child Care Subsidy

Families can only get ACCS child wellbeing once they’ve:

  • lodged a Child Care Subsidy (CCS) claim, and
  • been assessed as CCS eligible.

Services Australia cannot pay the child wellbeing subsidy until after this has occurred.

Families can lodge a CCS claim via their Centrelink online account.

It is critical that you discuss this requirement with the family if they haven’t already lodged a CCS claim. Services Australia can only backdate payments up to 28 days before the family lodged their successful claim. Families may miss out on payments if they delay. If you cannot identify a CCS-eligible parent or carer for a child at risk, you – the provider – may be able to get the subsidy on behalf of the child. We have more information on this scenario below.

Children must meet immunisation requirements

A key requirement of CCS eligibility is that children meet immunisation requirements.

If a child does not meet the CCS immunisation requirements, their CCS claim will not be approved. The family will need to make a new claim once the child has met the immunisation requirements.

You must enrol the child correctly

You must ensure the child is enrolled correctly. Families may miss out on payments if their child is not enrolled correctly.

There are 2 types of enrolments that you can use in order to receive ACCS, depending on the circumstances.

Complying Written Arrangement

In most cases, you must enrol the child under a Complying Written Arrangement (CWA).  

A CWA enables Services Australia to make CCS and ACCS payments. 

Learn how to enrol a child under a CWA

Provider Eligible Arrangement

In very limited circumstances, you may be able to enrol the child under a Provider Eligible Arrangement (PEA).

A PEA enables Services Australia to pay the subsidy directly to you – the provider – when you cannot identify a CCS-eligible parent or carer.

When you can use a PEA

We outline the two circumstances where you may be permitted to use a PEA below.

Circumstance What families must do What providers must do
You may use a PEA when a child is at risk but their parent or carer is not eligible for CCS. For example, because the parent or carer does not meet the CCS residence rules. The family must give you the child’s Customer Reference Number (CRN). 

You must email before enrolling the child. We’ll confirm whether there is a CCS-eligible parent or carer and confirm whether you may use a PEA.  

If you identify a CCS-eligible parent or carer at any point, you must end the PEA and enter into a CWA with the family. 

You may use a PEA, for up to 13 weeks, for children in formal foster care or kinship care. This ensures these children have access to the subsidy while their carer is assessed for CCS. 

The 13 weeks cannot be extended. If child changes foster carer during the 13-week period, the new carer can use the remaining weeks. However, once the child has used all 13 weeks, you cannot extend or renew the PEA.

The child’s carer should lodge a CCS claim before the 13-week period ends, in order to continue receiving the subsidy.  You should encourage the child’s carer to lodge a CCS claim before the 13-week period ends. You must enter into a CWA with the carer once they’ve been assessed as eligible for CCS. 

Just like any other enrolment, the PEA must include the child’s CRN.

The child’s parent or carer will need to provide you with the child’s CRN before you can create a PEA. If the child does not have a CRN, the parent or carer will need to contact Services Australia to organise one.

Children on a PEA must still meet the CCS immunisation requirements. If you wish to enrol a child on a PEA who does not meet the immunisation requirements, or their immunisation status is unknown, you must complete this form and email it to We’ll determine if the child can receive the subsidy under a PEA based on the circumstances. We can only make this determination if the child would be at increased risk if we did not do so.

When you can’t use a PEA

You must not use a PEA in the following circumstances:

  • If a child is attending In Home Care. This is because In Home Care is only available for families who are CCS-eligible.
  • If a child has no formal guardian and is in emergency care under the state or territory. You should discuss the responsibility for the cost of early childhood education and care with the relevant state or territory agency.
  • If a child has been placed in residential care, a group home or 24/7 Family Day Care. These children should be enrolled under an arrangement with an organisation. Learn more about enrolment types.