The RTP provides block grants, on a calendar year basis, to higher education providers (HEPs) to support both domestic and overseas students undertaking Research Doctorate and Research Masters degrees, known as higher degrees by research (HDRs).
The objectives of the RTP scheme are to:
- provide flexible funding arrangements to support the training of domestic students and overseas students undertaking HDRs at Australian HEPs
- deliver graduates with the skills required to build careers in academia and other sectors of the labour market
- support collaboration between HEPs and industry and other research end-users
- support overseas students undertaking HDR studies at Australian HEPs.
Students can be offered RTP scholarships for one or more of the following:
- tuition fees offset
- stipend for general living costs
- allowances related to the ancillary cost of research degrees.
RTP scholarships are available to domestic and overseas students enrolled in an accredited HDR course at an Australian HEP. RTP scholarships are available for a maximum period of two years for a research masters.
RTP scholarships are available for a research doctorate degree for a minimum of three years, up to a maximum of four years, at the discretion of the HEP.
Guidelines and conditions
Australian government funding is provided through annual block grants to eligible Australian HEPs in accordance with section 46-20 of the Higher Education Support Act 2003.
The Commonwealth Scholarships Guidelines (Research) 2017 provides the legislative basis for the provision of funding to this scheme and can be downloaded from the Australian Government Federal Register of Legislation.
2018 RTP details of grant are also available.
The 2018 RTP grant amounts to participating providers is based on a formula that is reflective of their overall research performance.
Process for determining RTP grant amounts
The process for determining the basic RTP grant amount for a higher education provider can be found in Research Block Grants – Calculation Methodology.
RTP Stipend Rates
Each year, the range for RTP stipend rates for the following year will be announced by 1 October. The RTP stipend rate range is effective from 1 January. The table below details current and recent RTP stipend rates.
|Year||Full-time base RTP stipend rate ($)||Full-time max RTP stipend rate ($)|
Historical Australian Postgraduate Award stipend rates are also available.