On this page:
At the Department of Education, our goal is to create a better future for all Australians through education.
By supporting a strong early childhood education system, we help children prepare for school and families re-engage with work. Through education and learning, we change lives – opening a world of possibilities for children and young people.
We provide advice to our Ministers and lead the implementation of Government policies and programs to build a strong education system. We draw on the best available research, evidence and data and work collaboratively with industry, stakeholders and state and territory governments.
As an organisation of approximately 1,600 staff, we pride ourselves on our positive, supportive and inclusive workplace culture that nurtures talent and encourages employees to achieve their full potential.
Why join us
- Career progression: Start as an APS Level 3 and progress to APS Level 5 on successful completion of the program. Refer to the Australian Public Service Commission website for more information on APS levels.
- Salary increase: Start at $72,658 (plus 15.4% superannuation) and progress to $90,580 (plus 15.4% superannuation) upon successful completion of the program.
- Program details: 10-month program, involving two 5-month work placements, allowing you to work on a variety of priority policies, programs or projects.
- Learning and Development: Experience on the job training, supported by a range of formal development opportunities.
- Buddy Program: We will match you up with a ‘buddy’ from the previous year’s graduate program, who can support and guide you by sharing their experience and insights.
- Location options: Canberra (some opportunities may be available in other locations). Relocation assistance is provided to candidates who relocate to Canberra.
- Employee Networks: Help contribute to a positive and inclusive workplace culture by joining our Employee Networks.
- Community: Participate in Social Club and Graduate Fundraising activities to connect with colleagues at every level.
How to apply
You can find out more information about the streams we participate in below:
- Generalist stream
- Accounting and Financial Management stream
- Data stream
- Economist stream
- Indigenous Graduate Pathway
- Legal stream
- Digital Stream
Visit the APS Jobs Career Pathways website for additional information.
Applications for the 2025 Graduate Program will open in March 2024.
Make a difference by creating a better future for all Australians through education. You have what it takes. Join us!
If you have any questions on the Graduate Program or Entry Level Pathways at the Department of Education, please get in contact with the Recruitment Team.
Phone: 02 6240 6973