Background to the collection of statistics
The department manages a comprehensive set of statistics referred to as the Higher Education Statistics Collection.
Data included in the Higher Education Statistics Collection relate to:
- courses provided by higher education institutions;
- numbers and characteristics of students undertaking courses;
- student load;
- completion of units of study and courses;
- student liability status;
- numbers and characteristics of staff in higher education institutions;
- income and expenditure for higher education institutions;
- research activity; and
- undergraduate applications, offers and acceptances.
Dissemination of data from the Higher Education Statistics Collection
The department disseminates data from the collection through statistics publications, datasets, tabulations, extracts and analyses prepared for clients.
In addition, many reports and monographs produced by the department and other agencies contain data from the collection. The data are widely used by the department, other Commonwealth and State/Territory agencies, higher education institutions, researchers and individuals in the community as a whole.