The Australian Curriculum provides schools, teachers, parents and students a clear understanding of what students should learn. This curriculum applies no matter where a student lives or what school system they're in. Version 9.0 of the Australian Curriculum was released in May 2022 for implementation by jurisdictions from 2023.
The Australian Curriculum
The Australian Curriculum guides what students learn in school.
State, territory and non-government education authorities are responsible for delivering the Australian Curriculum. This includes decisions about:
- Classroom practices
- Complementing resources.
Overview of the Foundation to Year 10 Australian Curriculum
The Foundation (Preschool/Kindergarten) up to Year 10 Curriculum provides:
- Curriculum content
- An achievement standard in each subject
- Flexibility for teachers to personalise student learning and respond to student needs and interests.
The Australian Curriculum includes:
- eight key learning areas—English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education, Languages, Technologies and the Arts
- seven general capabilities—literacy, numeracy, digital literacy, critical and creative thinking, personal and social capability, intercultural understanding, and ethical understanding
- three cross-curriculum priorities—sustainability, Asia and Australia's engagement with Asia, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures.
Review of the Australian Curriculum
On 12 June 2020 a review of the Australian Curriculum commenced to:
- Refine and reduce the amount of content in all eight key learning areas
- Reflect the goals of The Alice Springs (Mparntwe) Education Declaration
Version 9.0 of the Australian Curriculum was endorsed by education ministers on 1 April 2022.
Schools will implement the new curriculum (Version 9.0) from 2023 according to their own timelines. Version 8.4 will continue to be available until schools have fully transitioned to the new curriculum.
Projects and programs that support the Curriculum
Various Australian Government programs and initiatives support the Australian Curriculum.
Find support for:
Understand the Australian Curriculum, how it's developed and get resources to support delivery:
- Go to The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority for information about the curriculum and ACARA's role.