Qualifications recognition

To support international student and labour market mobility, Australia’s National Information Centre for qualifications recognition in the Australian Government Department of Education engages domestically and globally on qualifications recognition policy to encourage improved recognition practices. The Department also delivers a suite of qualifications recognition information products and services to support stakeholders.

Services for organisations

For organisations involved in the assessment of overseas qualifications or international mobility, we provide Services for organisations.

Skilled Migration Assessing Authorities

Australia’s skilled migration program contributes to Australia’s economic and workforce needs in skills areas identified by the Australian Government. The program requires prospective migrants to undergo an assessment of their skills, qualifications and/or work experience to ensure they meet the standards needed for employment in Australia. 

Skills assessments are issued by relevant assessing authorities approved by the Australian Government. In order to apply to become an assessing authority an organisation must be described as one or more of the following: 

  • Government Body - an Australian Commonwealth, state or territory government organisation or body. 
  • Peak Professional Body – a leading body nationally accepted as a legitimate "voice" or representative of a profession or industry.
  • Regulatory Body – a body that formally accredits, approves and recognises training. The body that sets standards for, and regulates, entry into trades and professions.
  • Accreditation Authority – a non-government organisation or an organisation supported by a government body, that grants or withholds accreditation in accordance with its standards.

For more information please refer to the Guidelines for Skilled Migration Assessing Authorities.

See Home Affairs for further information about Australia’s Skilled Migration Program.

Working in Australia

The requirements to work in Australia depend on the occupation. In some occupations, these requirements must be met before you start working, and may be required by law.

Meeting these requirements is usually a separate process to applying for a job. In all occupations, the employer decides who they will employ.

For more information:

For specific occupations

Occupations that require specialised knowledge and skills in Australia have registration, licensing, professional membership or other industry requirements that must be met before you can start working. We do not assess qualifications for these purposes because in Australia, there are authorities responsible for these occupations.

For general purposes

If you are an Australian citizen or permanent resident, and are looking for a job with no specific requirements as above, you can contact an Australian state or territory government Overseas Qualifications Unit (OQU) if you would like to know how your overseas qualification compares in Australia.

An OQU can assess your overseas qualification in general terms or provide you with further advice on how to get your overseas qualification recognised. We work with OQUs to facilitate their advice.

If you have been referred to the Department of Education, by an OQU or another organisation for a qualification assessment see Services for individuals.

Studying in Australia

If you would like to study in Australia, contact the education institution where you wish to study.

The education institution, such as a university, higher education provider or registered training organisation, will assess your overseas qualifications for admission to study.

Migrating to Australia

If you would like to migrate to Australia, contact the Department of Home Affairs.

The Department of Education does not assess qualifications for migration.