On 11 December 2023, the Australian Government released the Migration Strategy (the Strategy).
On this page:
About the Migration Strategy
The Migration Strategy outlines the Government’s vision for getting migration working for the nation and building a migration system that delivers for workers, businesses and all Australians.
A key component of the Strategy is ensuring a sustainable international education sector, with a focus on integrity and quality.
The Strategy seeks to harness the potential for international student graduates to make a strong contribution to Australia’s skills needs and economy.
The higher standards for international students and education providers to drive quality in international education include:
- increased English language requirements to improve the quality of students’ educational experience in Australia and reduce potential workplace exploitation
- greater and more targeted scrutiny to student visa applications from high risk providers
- a bolstered student visa integrity unit in Home Affairs to reduce misuse of Australia’s student visa system
- strengthened requirements for international education providers
- restricting onshore visa hopping that undermines system integrity and drives ‘permanent temporariness’
- strengthened and simplified Temporary Graduate visas.
Further details on each commitment can be found in the Strategy.