The Australian Qualifications Framework (AQF) Review has now completed. The final report was released in October 2019.
On this page:
The final report refers to supporting research conducted as part of the review. These research reports are available under the Supporting Research heading on this page.
On 9 December the Government accepted all the recommendations of the review in relation to higher education and accepted the aims of the recommendations of the review in relation to vocational education, contingent on further discussions with state and territory governments.
A cross-jurisdictional working group has been established to undertake further technical and scoping work, and coordinate advice for Commonwealth, State and Territory Education and Skills Ministers about addressing AQF Review recommendations.
The AQF is the national policy for regulated qualifications.
The Australian Government announced a review of the AQF in the 2017-18 budget to ensure that it continues to meet the needs of students, employers, education providers and the wider community.
- Professor Peter Noonan (Chair): Professor of Tertiary Education Policy at Victoria University
- Mr Allan Blagaich: Executive Director of School Curriculum and Standards, WA Department of Education
- Professor Sally Kift: Adjunct Professor, College of Business, Law & Governance at James Cook University
- Ms Megan Lilly: Head of Workforce Development, Ai Group
- Ms Leslie Loble: Deputy Secretary, External Affairs and Regulation, NSW Department of Education
- Professor Elizabeth More AM: Chief Education Officer, Study Group Australasia
- Ms Marie Persson: Member, New South Wales Skills Board, Chair, NSW Skills Board Industry Reference Group, Member, Monash Commission
Terms of Reference
The Minister for Education and Training, and the Council of Australian Governments Education and Industry and Skills Councils, approved the review's terms of reference.
The review panel released a discussion paper in December 2018, with three links for further information.
- Discussion Paper: Review of the Australian Qualifications Framework
- Link 1: Changing work requires new skills and learning methods
- Link 2: Incorporating shorter form credentials into the AQF
- Link 3: Other Countries – Shorter Form Credentials in Qualifications Frameworks
In February and March 2019 the review panel held consultation sessions on the discussion paper across Australia. The review Chair gave a presentation at each session and wrote answers to key questions from stakeholders.
Stakeholders made 134 written submissions in response to the discussion paper and consultation sessions. Three stakeholders requested their submissions remain confidential.
- The Department of Education commissioned the following research projects to support the review.
- PhillipsKPA, Contextual Research for the Australian Qualifications Framework Review (2018)
- Ithaca Group, Credit Pathways in VET and Higher Education (2018)
- ACER, Revision or Re-vision: Exploring approaches to the differentiation of qualifications types in the Australian Qualifications Framework (2019)
- dandolopartners/Ithaca Group, AQF Review Impact Assessment (2019)