On this page:
In 2020, the Australian Government conducted the latest Review of the Disability Standards for Education 2005 (the Standards).
The aim of the Review was to test if the Standards are effective in supporting students with disability to access and participate in education on the same basis as students without disability, and whether any improvements to the Standards should be made.
The final report was released on the 12 March 2021, and made 13 recommendations which reflect 4 reform directions
- empowering and supporting students with disability and their families
- strengthening the knowledge and capability of educators and providers
- embedding accountability for the Standards throughout the education system
- building awareness and capability in the early childhood education and care sector.
Implementing the Recommendations
The Australian Government is working closely with state and territory governments and education authorities to implement the recommendations. Changes are being made with help and advice from people with disability and educators. This will include and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people with disability.
The Government will keep the community up to date about progress of this work.
The Australian Government has worked with people with disability to develop information products to help students with disability and their parents and carers to understand and advocate for their rights. These products were designed by people with disability with help from Children and Young People with Disability Australia.
The Australian Government has published a report which shows what it has done as a result of the recommendations to strengthen inclusive education for children and students with disability. Read the report.
- To find out more about how the Review was conducted and read submissions to the Review, visit the consultations page.
- To read the Review’s final report, visit the final report page.
- To read a summary of the Review and its recommendations, visit the summary document page. The summary document outlines how the Review was undertaken, what the Review found and what it recommends. It is available in Auslan, Easy Read, and 11 community languages.