VSL Students

The Tuition Protection Service (TPS) assists VET Student Loans (VSL) students whose education providers are unable to fully deliver their course of study.

On this page:

Closures and Defaults

Australia has an excellent reputation for quality education. However, sometimes an education provider may close altogether, fail to start a course that students are enrolled in or stop offering a course part-way through. Closing, failing to start, or stopping a course part way through is called a default

If your education provider defaults, the TPS may be able to help you. If your education provider has recently closed, please check our closures and defaults listings for specific information about the next steps you need to take.

View closures and defaults listings

Support for students

If you have a VET Student Loan and your provider defaults, the TPS can either help you continue your studies in a suitable replacement course or, if a suitable replacement course is not available, arrange a loan re-credit.

The TPS will invite affected students to an information session where they can learn more about the assistance available from the TPS.

If you do not hear from us, you should first check your email spam/ junk folders. If you have not received an email you should contact us as soon as possible

Contact the TPS

If you are a VSL student and require TPS assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Things to request and gather

If your provider is open but will soon close or stop delivering your course, you should discuss the situation directly with them, and request copies of:

  • your academic transcript
  • any completed units, competencies, modules, or assessments
  • completed assessments, assignments, and work placements
  • course structure (lists of units of competency in your course and when they were being taught)
  • any other documents or emails that show parts of the course you were studying and had completed.

These documents will help you and the TPS to find you a replacement provider or get a loan re-credit.

What to expect from your provider

Within 24 hours of the default you should receive written information containing:

  • the date of their default
  • the name of the course and units of study you were enrolled in
  • a copy of your student transcript which includes units you already completed.

Continuing your studies with a replacement provider

If the TPS finds a replacement course for you, you will need to contact the new provider. In your discussion with the replacement provider(s), you will need to talk about the suitability of the provider and the course. You will also need to take your academic transcript along with you.

Talking to your replacement provider

When talking to potential replacement providers, you should discuss:

  • your current course progression
  • which parts of the course you will receive credit for
  • which parts of the course you will need to pay for (including additional costs if any)
  • the mode of delivery (on-campus, online, or blended delivery)
  • the requirements and prerequisites for the course
  • the expected timeframe to complete your studies with the replacement provider.

Course credits must be given by replacement providers for successfully completed units of competency.

The academic and fee requirements of your replacement course may be higher than those of your original course. If this is the case, you may need to meet these requirements.

During this process, the TPS will be in contact with you to provide important information on steps to take (including associated deadlines) and information to provide us.

Getting a loan re-credit

If there are no suitable replacement courses available to you, you are entitled to a loan re-credit on the portion of your course which has been paid for but not delivered.

Health and wellbeing services

Closures and defaults cause uncertainty and disruption for students. The Department Health maintains a list of resources. See Mental health and suicide prevention.

Making a complaint about your provider

If you would like to make a complaint about your provider, it is recommended that you contact the provider to begin an internal complaints process. If you are not satisfied with the response from your education provider, you can make a complaint to the Commonwealth Ombudsman.