Australia’s first Regional Education Commissioner is the Hon Fiona Nash.
Ms Nash has a deep love for regional Australia and an enduring interest in regional education, with strong links to the education sector. She is a champion for regional, rural and remote education, working with stakeholders and governments across sectors so all Australians can access a high-quality education, regardless of where they live.
Participation, attainment and completion in all levels of education can be more difficult the further you travel from major cities. As Commissioner, Ms Nash aims to bridge this gap and address the disparity in education outcomes.
Her broad remit to improve regional education from early childhood education to tertiary education means she can provide a national focus and direction for regional education.
Ms Nash has previously represented New South Wales in the Senate from 2004 to 2017, holding several ministerial roles including Minister for Regional Development, Minister for Regional Communications and Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Regional Education.
The role of Commissioner was established in response to recommendations of the 2018 Independent Review into Regional, Rural and Remote Education (Halsey Review) and the 2019 National Regional, Rural and Remote Tertiary Education Strategy (Napthine Review).
The Commissioner supports the implementation of the Napthine and Halsey Reviews through partnerships and coordinated efforts across governments, local communities, education providers and employers.
In addition to implementing and monitoring progress of the Napthine and Halsey Reviews, the Commissioner oversees and coordinates cross‑sector research projects to identify and set future policy directions. These projects explore areas identified by the Napthine Review such as student support services, geographical classification, internet access and affordability, Year 12 retention and career mapping for rural, regional and remote students.
She works closely with regional communities, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander communities, education providers, industry, state and territory governments and other relevant stakeholders.
Ms Nash works in close consultation with the National Skills Commissioner, the National Careers Institute and the Rural Health Commissioner, as well as participating in relevant community consultations, forums and other events on regional education.
Ms Nash will report annually to the Minister for Regionalisation, Regional Communications and Regional Education, and the Minister for Education and Youth, as required, on the state of education in the regions.
Terms of Reference
The Terms of Reference outline the duties, responsibilities and deliverables of the Commissioner.
Guiding vision and principles
Ms Nash’s vision for the Regional Education Commissioner role is:
'That all people in rural, regional and remote Australia, regardless of where they live, can access the education they need to reach their full potential.'
Ms Nash is guided by the below set of principles to support her vision:
- I will be an independent champion for the education needs of rural, regional and remote people, from cradle to career.
- Everything I do stems from the principle ‘regional Australia is a great place to live, study and work’.
- My enduring purpose in this role will always be to drive the creation and promotion of education opportunities for regional people so they are supported with genuine career choices that, in turn, build regional prosperity now and for the future.
- I am committed to providing regional people with the information and opportunities they need to have choices, believe in themselves and make informed decisions on education.
- I will work in partnership with regional communities to grow and enjoy education opportunities.
- I will champion successes, and seek to build on them, no matter the size.
About the Secretariat
The Commissioner is supported by a policy secretariat within the Higher Education Division of the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
Reports, Reviews, Resources and Media
- National Regional, Rural and Remote Tertiary Education Strategy
- Independent Review into Regional, Rural and Remote Education
- Quality Initial Teacher Education Review
- National Children’s Education and Care Workforce Strategy
Resources and links
- My School
- School Leavers Information Kit | Your Career
- Services Australia
- Good Universities Guide
- National Careers Institute
- National Skills Commissioner
- Rural Health Commissioner