As part of the Quality Schools package, the Australian Government announced the Non-Government Reform Support Fund (Reform Support Fund) for non-government representative bodies. Non‑government representative bodies are funded to represent non-government schools and support the implementation of existing and new policy initiatives and state-specific reforms in non-government schools.
The Minister for Education has approved 16 non-government representative bodies under Section 91 of the Australian Education Act 2013; a Catholic Education Commission and an Association of Independent Schools in each state and territory.
Under the Reform Support Fund Guidelines, non-government representative bodies (NGRBs) are required to submit annual workplans outlining the activities to be undertaken for the year along with annual reports describing the actual activities undertaken and the outcomes achieved.
The 16 NGRBs provided the Minister with their strategic plan for the years 2019 to 2022, which focuses on reform activities to support state efforts under the national and bilateral agreements.
The Reform Support Fund commenced on 1 January 2018 to replace the Student First Support Fund, which provided funding to non-government representative bodies from 2014 to 2017. Design of the Reform Support Fund was informed by findings from an independent review of the Student First Support Fund undertaken in March 2017 that emphasised the need for greater accountability and alignment of activities with Australian Government education reform priorities.
Funding for the Reform Support Fund was announced as part of the 2017-18 Federal Budget measure Quality Schools – true needs-based funding for Australian Schools. Funding was provided over five years (from 2018 to 2022) to support the Government’s education reform agenda in the lead up and following implementation of the National School Reform Agreement.
Non-government representative bodies
Below is a list of non-government representative bodies supported by the National Catholic Education Commission, including contact numbers:
- Catholic Schools NSW (02 9287 1555)
- Catholic Education Office: Archdiocese of Canberra and Goulburn (02 6234 5455)
- Catholic Education Office of the Northern Territory (08 8984 1400)
- Queensland Catholic Education Commission (07 3316 5800)
- Catholic Education South Australia (08 8301 6600)
- Tasmanian Catholic Education Office (03 6210 8888)
- Catholic Education Commission of Victoria Ltd (03 9267 0228)
- Catholic Education Western Australia (08 6380 5200)
Below is a list of member associations of Independent Schools Australia, including contact numbers:
- The Association of Independent Schools of the ACT Inc. (02 6154 5470)
- The Association of Independent Schools of New South Wales Ltd (02 9299 2845)
- The Association of Independent Schools of the Northern Territory Inc. (08 8981 8668)
- Independent Schools Queensland (07 3228 1515)
- The Association of Independent Schools of South Australia (08 8179 1400)
- Independent Schools Tasmania (03 6224 0125)
- Independent Schools Victoria (03 9825 7200)
- The Association of Independent Schools of Western Australia Inc. (08 9441 1600)
How is the Australian Government supporting reform efforts in Catholic and Independent schools through the Non-Government Reform Support Fund?
- Download How is the Australian Government supporting reform efforts in Catholic and Independent schools through the Non-Government Reform Support Fund? as a DOCX (188.47kb)
- Download How is the Australian Government supporting reform efforts in Catholic and Independent schools through the Non-Government Reform Support Fund? as a PDF (360.22kb)