The Australian Government has provided $4 million in Special Circumstances Funding to schools affected by recent flood activity in north Queensland.
On this page:
On 26 March 2019, the Minister for Education, the Hon Dan Tehan MP, announced that the Australian Government would provide up to $4 million in Special Circumstances Funding for non-government schools impacted by the 2019 floods across parts of northern Queensland.
The funding round targeted schools with students from the 15 local government areas eligible for Disaster Assistance (Primary Producer) Loans in response to damage caused by the 25 January 2019 far north Queensland monsoon trough.
On 6 June 2019, Minister Tehan announced that funding support had been approved for the following 14 school approved authorities:
- A S S G School Incorporated
- Anglican Schools Queensland
- Blackheath and Thornburgh College
- Board of Trustees of the Ipswich Grammar School
- Calvary Temple Christian Colleges Limited
- Gulf Christian College Limited
- Nambour Christian College Limited
- Seventh-day Adventist Schools (Northern Australia) Limited
- Silver Lining Foundation Australia Limited
- St Margaret's School Council Limited
- Queensland Catholic Education Commission (QCEC)
- Tec-NQ Limited
- Townsville Christian College Limited
- Townsville Christian Education Association Limited
Affected schools across Queensland provided ongoing support to students, their families and teachers. The cost of this assistance adversely affected many schools' finances. Special Circumstances Funding helped these schools to maintain their financial viability and assisted them to stay open.
Funding payments were made in June 2019.