Get help to pay your training fees: VET Student Loans

If you want to do a Vocational Education and Training (VET) course, you might be able to get a government loan to cover your tuition fees.

Tuition fees are what your education provider charges you for your course.

This type of support is called a VET Student Loan or VSL.

You can’t get this type of loan for other costs like accommodation, laptops or textbooks.

Who can apply

You must be either:

  • an Australian citizen
  • a permanent humanitarian visa holder who is usually resident in Australia
  • a qualifying New Zealand citizen — see below.

You must study an approved course at an approved provider.

You can get a loan for full-time or part-time study.

You will need to meet course provider and other entry requirements.

Talk to your provider to find out if you can get a loan.

If you are a New Zealand citizen

You can apply for a VET Student Loan if you meet all of the following conditions:

  • hold a Special Category visa
  • have usually lived in Australia for at least 10 years
  • were a dependent child under the age of 18 when you moved to Australia
  • have been in Australia for at least eight out of the last 10 years
  • have been in Australia for 18 months of the last two years.

If you are an international student or permanent resident of Australia

Apart from the exceptions listed above, you can't get a government loan to cover your tuition fees.

What you can get

There is a cap to how much you can borrow for a course with a VET Student Loan.

There is also a limit to how much you can borrow over your lifetime.

How much you can get: course cap

To find how much your course will cost and how much you can borrow, search for an approved VET course.

Select your course and training provider. From the training provider's details page, choose Calculate my loan.

How much your course will cost is the tuition fee. How much you can borrow is the VET Student Loans Cap.

How much you can get: lifetime limit

To find out how much you can borrow in your lifetime, find out how much you owe in VET loans and get further detail about your debt.

How much you've borrowed toward your limit is under the FEE-HELP assisted units tab. It is shown as FEE-HELP assistance used to date.

How your loan is repaid

Repayments are taken out of what you earn through the tax system.

Read more about how your VET loan repayments are made, including how much you will need to pay each year.

How to apply

To get financial help with your VET tuition fees, speak to your education provider.

Tell them you want to get a VET Student Loan.

They will tell you what you can get and how to apply.

You will need a tax file number if you decide to apply for a VET Student Loan.


Your provider will email you a link to the Electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) system.

If you submit the form correctly, you will get an email confirming your loan.

It will be sent to the email address you put in the eCAF.

If you have problems applying contact your provider.

If you are under 18 years of age

You must fill in the VET Student Loan parental consent form unless you get Youth Allowance as an independent.

The form must be signed by your parent or guardian.

You must submit it to your provider before you apply for a VET Student Loan.

If you get Youth Allowance as an independent, you will need to submit your Centrelink Income Statement.

Find out more about VET Student Loans

You can get more information about VET Student Loans.

If you have a problem go to Click here if you still need help under Frequently asked questions.

Updated 25 June 2018


  • Share this on Facebook
  • Share this on LinkedIn
  • Share this on Twitter
Back to top