Withdraw from a unit or course

If you want to withdraw from study without a debt, you must do it by your education provider’s census date.

The census date is the deadline to sort out your enrolment and fees. The date can be different for each education provider.

How to withdraw

To withdraw from a unit or course you need to follow your education provider’s withdrawal procedure.

You also might need to withdraw from units you enrolled in for future study periods.

If the course you want to withdraw from involves study with more than one education provider, you will need to withdraw from each one separately.

To find out how to withdraw contact your education provider.

If you don’t withdraw by the census date

If you don’t withdraw from a unit in time you will still have to pay for it. Even if you don’t go to any classes or do any course work.

If you applied for a HELP loan the unit cost will be added to your debt.

You will lose any upfront payment you made.

Your education provider might charge you extra fees.

You might fail a unit if you haven’t been doing the course work and don’t withdraw in time.

If you fail a unit

If you fail a unit you will still have to pay for it. It doesn’t matter if you went to any classes or not.

If you need to take that unit again, you must pay for it a second time.

If you are sick or can’t study but it’s too late to withdraw

In rare circumstances you might be able to get a refund.

For instance, if you are sick or other circumstances stop you from finishing a unit.

Read how to cancel your HELP debt under special circumstances.

Updated 25 June 2018


  • Share this on Facebook
  • Share this on LinkedIn
  • Share this on Twitter
Back to top