Find out how much you owe in higher education loans: your HELP debt

You can get information about your HELP debt online or by phone.

This information might not be up to date — it takes time for it to move between your provider and the government.

Your provider can give you up-to-date details about your debt for each study period.


You can find out how much you owe in HELP debt by using the myGov service.

You can see details including your total debt and repayments you have made.

To check your HELP debt on myGov follow these steps.

Step 1. Go to myGov

Sign in to myGov or create a myGov account.

Step 2. Link your account

You will need to link the Australian Taxation Office (ATO). If your account is already linked go to Step 3.

To link your account, go to the Services tab. Under Link a service choose the ATO service and follow the steps.

Step 3. Select the ATO service

From your myGov Home tab, choose the ATO under Your services.

Step 4. Get your debt information

Your debt is listed on this page under Loan accounts. How much you owe is listed under Balance.

To get more detail, select your loan. It will be listed under Description.

You can see how much you:

  • owe
  • have paid off
  • have been charged in indexation.

You can download a copy of these details.

Read more about interest, indexation and how HELP loan repayments are made.

By phone

You can call the ATO Personal Info Line on 13 28 61 to find out the balance of your HELP debt.

Be sure to have your tax file number handy when you call.

Get HELP loan details for each study period

For each study period your education provider will send you a notice with information about your enrolment.

This is called the Commonwealth Assistance Notice (CAN). For that study period the notice will show:

  • the units you are studying
  • how much debt each unit will add to your HELP loan
  • any upfront payments you have made.

The notice will be sent after the deadline to sort out your enrolment and fees, called the census date.

The census date can be different for each education provider.

To get a copy of your CAN, contact your education provider.

If you don’t agree with information on your CAN

If you think there is an error or don’t agree with information on your CAN, you should tell your education provider.

You must do this within 14 days of the date of issue on your CAN.

If you want further detail about your debt

You can get extra information about your debt online. You can find out:

  • how much you have borrowed for each unit of study at each provider you have studied with
  • the census date for each unit you’ve studied
  • the total you have borrowed for each provider.

You will need your Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN).

You can get information about your education and training loans going back to 2005.

If you want information from before 2005 you will need to contact your provider.


To get further information about your debt sign in to myUniAssist.

Once you’ve signed in you will see a summary of what you’ve borrowed.

This will list the total you have borrowed for FEE-HELP. This includes the amount you have borrowed in VET Student Loans and VET FEE-HELP.

You can see how much you have borrowed in HECS-HELP loans under Commonwealth supported units.

Under FEE-HELP assisted units you can see how much you have:

  • paid upfront
  • borrowed for each unit of study
  • borrowed for each course
  • paid to your provider in loan fees
  • borrowed toward the lifetime FEE-HELP limit.

Total amounts don’t include indexation or your repayments.

If you’ve forgotten your CHESSN

Your CHESSN is on your Commonwealth assistance notice (CAN).

You can get your CHESSN or a copy of your CAN from your education provider.

If you have more than one CHESSN

You’ll need to combine your CHESSNs.

Email and ask for your CHESSNs to be combined.

Updated 25 June 2018


  • Share this on Facebook
  • Share this on Google+
  • Share this on LinkedIn
  • Share this on Twitter
Back to top