In 2015, the then Assistant Minister for Education and Training, Senator the Hon Simon Birmingham, held two workshops with VET students to discuss a range of topics from the student’s perspective including:
- why they decided to do a VET course
- the information they needed to make their decision
- what they thought was good about VET
- changes they would make to VET
- their plans once they finished their studies.
The first in this series was held on 19 May 2015 at Holmesglen Institute of TAFE and on 28 July 2015 a second student forum was held at Sydney TAFE.
These conversations contributed to the ongoing policy development in the VET system and ensure that the voice of students is being heard in the VET reform process.