On 14 November 2018, the Minister for Education the Hon Dan Tehan MP announced an independent review into university freedom of speech, to be undertaken by the Hon Mr Robert French AC, former Chief Justice of the High Court Chief of Australia.
Mr French has stated he will undertake the review on a cooperative and consultative basis, respecting the long held and valued institutional autonomy of Australia's universities.
The focus of the review will be the effectiveness of university policies and practices to address the requirements of the Higher Education Standards Framework to promote and protect freedom of expression and intellectual inquiry on Australian campuses.
Mr French has written to a range of stakeholders relevant to the Terms of Reference for the review to seek their views, including all universities, student representative groups, higher education provider peak bodies and the national higher education regulator, the Tertiary Education Quality and Standards Agency (TEQSA).
Terms of Reference
Terms of reference for the review, as set out in the Minister's media release of 14 November 2018, are to:
- Assess the effectiveness of the Higher Education Standards Framework (the Standards) to promote and protect freedom of expression and freedom of intellectual inquiry in higher education.
- Assess the effectiveness of the policies and practices to address the requirements of the Standards, to promote and protect freedom of expression and intellectual inquiry.
- Assess international approaches to the promotion and protection of free expression and free intellectual inquiry in higher education settings, and consider whether any of these approaches would add to protections already in place in the Australian context.
- Outline realistic and practical options that could be considered to better promote and protect freedom of expression and freedom of intellectual inquiry, including:
- revision/clarification of the Standards
- development of a sector-led code of conduct.
The review secretariat can be contacted by email at: email@example.com.