Commonwealth agencies, including the Department of Industry, Innovation, Climate Change, Science, Research and Tertiary Education, are subject to Acts which prohibit discriminatory practices:
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992 and
- Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission Act 1986.
The department has a legal responsibility to ensure its participants receive assistance in an environment free from discrimination and must ensure that approved organisations are aware of, and comply with, anti-discrimination legislation. Organisations should familiarise themselves with these Acts and seek their own legal advice to ensure compliance.
Commonwealth agencies, including the department, are also subject to the following Acts:
- Freedom of Information Act 1982
- Privacy Act 1988 and
- Ombudsman Act 1976.