The Government has committed to the following initiatives in the Education and Training portfolio as part of the agenda:
- A sustainable, whole of government approach to critical research infrastructure through $1.5 billion over 10 years for the National Collaborative Research Infrastructure Strategy (NCRIS) as part of a broader a ten year commitment of $2.3 billion over 10 years
- Sharper incentives for university-industry engagement through streamlining university research block grants – in 2017, around $885 million will support the costs of research at Australian universities and around $948 million will support the training of the next generation of researchers and innovators.
- Inspiring all Australians in digital literacy and STEM – by providing $64.6 million in new funding for Department of Education and Training initiatives to help students embrace the digital age and prepare for the jobs of the future.
- Australian Research Council (ARC) Linkage Projects Scheme – continuous application process to ensure the application process and funding scheme is more responsive to the needs and priorities of business
- Measuring impact and engagement in university research – through the introduction of a national impact and engagement assessment system which will assess the benefits flowing from university research and incentivise university-industry collaboration
For further information visit innovation.gov.au