The National VET Data Policy
In 2016, COAG Skills Ministers authorised a review of the total VET activity data collection and submission arrangements. This review included broad consultations and these have underpinned some changes to VET data collection and use documents.
A revised National VET Data Policy has been endorsed by COAG Skills Ministers and comes into effect on 1 January 2018.
- Further information on the National VET Data Policy is available here.
Data provided in accordance with the National VET Data Policy contributes to the National VET Provider Collection, which is the principal source of information on training activity across Australia, the students undertaking it, and the courses being delivered.
Comprehensive and timely data on VET is important for increasing the efficiency and transparency of Australia’s VET sector, in order to improve understanding of Australia’s VET market and management of the national VET system.
Information about the training delivered across all RTOs assists the operations of a range of entities, including:
- students to access Authenticated VET Transcripts that show any Nationally Recognised Training undertaken since 2015 through links with the USI;
- consumers to access details about RTOs and courses in order to inform their training choices;
- RTOs to help plan their future training delivery, and undertake continuous improvement;
- industry, businesses and governments to undertake workforce planning through an understanding of where and when skills are being developed;
- governments to better understand training pathways and trends, and to inform the development of policy and assess the impact of interventions; and
- VET Regulators to inform risk-based regulation of RTOs and establish benchmarks for continuous improvement in the VET sector.
National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy
Although the new National VET Data Policy comes into effect on 1 January 2018, there is a six-month transition period to allow RTOs to prepare for and adjust their practices and student management systems.
The previous National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy, VET Data Protocol and associated Guidance to NCVER remain operational for RTOs that are transitioning until 1 July 2018.
- Further information on the previous data policy can be found here.
Review of the National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy
A Review of the National VET Provider Collection Data Requirements Policy, which outlines the data collection and submission requirements for total VET activity, was commenced in 2016. The review included public submissions, stakeholder interviews and surveys, and further consultations were undertaken in 2017.
- Further information on the Review, including the VET Data Policy Review - Report on Consultations and the submissions received is available here.
A selection of useful links to relevant VET organisations, legislation and other VET Data related information can be found here.
Frequently asked questions
More information on National VET Data can be found on the frequently asked questions page.