Get your overseas qualification or skills recognised in Australia

What you need to do to get your overseas skills recognised depends on what you want to do.

Qualification recognition for further study

You can get your skills and experience recognised toward an Australian qualification or to do further study.

You should talk to an education or training provider about getting your previous study or skills recognised.

Qualification recognition to work in Australia

To do work with special skills in Australia you may need a licence, registration, or professional membership.

If you want to do a job with special skills, you will need to contact the authority that oversees that type of work.

The authority will tell you what you need to do before you can work.

You will need to do some research to find the right authority for the type of work you want to do.

If you‘re an Australian citizen or permanent resident

You can get advice about your overseas qualification from your state or territory’s Overseas Qualification Unit.

Trade skills

You can get advice about your overseas trade qualification through Trades Recognition Australia.

You can get some trades and other skills recognised through recognition of prior learning.

Get your skills recognised to apply for a visa

If you have an overseas qualification you might be able to use it to apply for an Australian skilled visa.

Updated 25 June 2018


  • Share this on Facebook
  • Share this on LinkedIn
  • Share this on Twitter
Back to top