The program has three components:
- Additional Support for Students with Disabilities (ASSD)
- Performance-based Disability Support Funding
- The Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training (ADCET)
Additional Support for Students with Disabilities (ASSD)
The objectives of the ASSD component of the program are to:
- provide funding to eligible higher education providers to assist with the high costs incurred in providing educational support and/or equipment to students with disability to enable them to participate in higher education; and
- encourage efficient and effective use of equipment and education resources to support students with disability.
Eligible higher education providers can apply for reimbursement of their ASSD expenses incurred in the 2014 calendar year using the application form provided by the Department in early 2015.
Performance-based Disability Support Funding
The objective of the Performance-based Disability Support Funding component of the Disability Support Program is to encourage higher education providers to implement strategies to attract and support students with disability.
The Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education & Training (ADCET)
The Australian Government provides funding under the Higher Education Disability Support Program to maintain the Australian Disability Clearinghouse on Education and Training (ADCET) website, currently hosted by the University of Tasmania. This site provides information and other resources designed to promote inclusive practices for people with a disability.