The Australian Government's proposed higher education reform package remains in the Senate. The Government is currently considering options as reforming the higher education system remains a priority, both to maintain and enhance Australia's world-class higher education sector, and to ensure future funding arrangements remain sustainable, in line with the reforms announced in the 2017-18 Budget. For current information, visit the Government's reform package webpage.
This support is important as the sector makes a fundamental contribution to the future of Australia and our intellectual, economic, cultural and social development. The sector:
- educates our future workforce
- develops our future leaders
- provides jobs for Australians
- facilitates cultural and trade links with other countries
- plays a key role in the growing knowledge and innovation based economy of Australia.
Australian Government budget information
For information about higher education measures announced in past federal budgets, please go to education.gov.au