GCCB covers the full cost of approved child care for up to 50 hours for each child per week. In certain circumstances, Grandparents may be able to get GCCB for more than 50 hours per week.
GCCB can only be claimed as reduced fees, not as a lump sum. This means the GCCB payment is paid directly to the child care service provider.
To be eligible for GCCB, grandparents must:
- be the natural, adoptive, or step grandparent of the child (great-grandparents are eligible in the same way as grandparents); or
- be the current or former partner of a grandparent if they are the primary carer of the grandchild; and
- be the sole or major provider of ongoing daily care for the grandchild; and
- have substantial autonomy for the day-to-day decisions about the child's care, welfare and development.
In addition to meeting the above eligibility requirements, to receive GCCB, grandparents must also meet existing eligibility requirements for Child Care Benefit approved care (except the Work, Training and Study Test) and receive one of the following income support payments:
- Age Pension
- Austudy payment
- Bereavement Allowance
- Carer Payment
- Disability Support Pension (including Disability Support Pension Blind)
- Income Support Supplement
- Newstart Allowance
- Parenting Payment Partnered
- Parenting Payment Single
- Partner Allowance
- a Service Pension
- Sickness Allowance
- Special Benefit
- Widow Allowance
- Widow B Pension
- Wife Pension
- Youth Allowance
Grandparents who are providing child care for their grandchildren, but who are not the primary carers, are not eligible for GCCB.
Work, Training and Study Test
Grandparents who meet the eligibility requirements listed above do not have to meet the Child Care Benefit Work, Training and Study test.
For further information and to apply for GCCB, eligible grandparents can contact the Department of Human Services Grandparent Advisers on 1800 245 965 or visit a Service Centre located in all Medicare Offices and Centrelink Service Centres.
Alternatively, they can contact Centrelink on 136 150.