We welcome applications from all degree disciplines for our Finance Graduate Program.
On this page:
What our Finance graduates do
Graduates working in our finance area will help shape the delivery of essential services within the financial resource management framework. By providing sound financial management advice to the executive team, the department helps shape policy that impacts on the lives of Australians. Our graduates are given real responsibility from the start, and experience learning on the job that firmly sets up their careers in the public service and beyond.
- Prepare detailed budgets and costings for projects, initiatives and DESE groups.
- Interpret accounting standards and provide financial analysis and reporting.
- Write briefs including senate estimates and updates to internal policies and guidelines
- Detailed account reconciliations and reporting
- Assist in procurement activities including interpretation of the Commonwealth Procurement Guidelines
- Problem solve, conduct process mapping and suggest improvements
‘The graduate program has provided me with the support and training to take the step from University to the APS. I have found the department to be an innovative and positive place that encourages growth and provides opportunities across a range of finance functions.' - Jake Harper, 2021 Graduate
‘The Graduate Program has given me the opportunity to gain work experience in the finance area right after graduating from university. With a supportive network of co-workers and supervisors, I am able to gain exposure to different work areas and their roles. This is helping me greatly in finding my interests and determining my career for the future.' - Jason Nguyen, 2021 Graduate
Additionally, all graduates in the Graduate Program will undertake a Graduate Certificate in Public Administration as the formal learning and development component of the program. This additional tertiary qualification offers all graduates a strong foundational understanding of working in the APS and in a policy agency. This will benefit you, regardless of what stream you are in.
Who we are looking for
- Tertiary qualifications in commerce or accounting related disciplines
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate effectively, problem solve and work as part of a team.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to actively engage with co-workers and stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, and an attitude open to learning and innovation
Finance Graduate Stream FAQ
Want more information about what a day in the life of a finance graduate looks like? Read the FAQ information sheet for more information.
To be eligible for the Graduate Program, you will be required to:
- be an Australian Citizen or going to be granted Australian citizenship before you commence and be able to provide evidence of this
- have successfully completed a Bachelor degree or higher within the five years prior to the start date of the Graduate Program. You will be required to provide evidence of completion before the start of the program
- obtain and maintain a valid Australian Government Baseline security clearance
- relocate to Canberra for the commencement of the program if the position requires you to.
- satisfy the relevant medical check (if required for the position).
Applying for the Graduate Program as a Finance Graduate
Applications for the 2024 Graduate Program will open from March 2023.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com.