We welcome applications from all degree disciplines for our Graduate Program. We offer mainstream positions and a number of specialist career streams including Economics.
Our economics graduates are involved in the core work of the department and given real responsibility from the start.
On this page:
What does the economics stream offer you?
Our economics graduates are engaged across the whole department with rotation opportunities available in policy, program delivery and technical areas. Graduates are involved in conducting evidence-based research and analysis which supports our Ministers and other stakeholders and enables them to make informed decisions.
As an economics graduate, you have the opportunity to:
- Help shape economic and policy deliberations on diverse topics
- Contribute towards analysis that helps support disadvantaged labour market cohorts such as young workers, the long-term unemployed, those with a disability, and mature aged workers.
- Further develop your technical skills via exposure to diverse analytical techniques, economic models, and complex datasets.
- Be mentored by some of the best economists, data scientists, and policy analysts within the public service — our economics graduates have a strong track record of promotion, with many previous graduates going on to senior positions in the department and other agencies such as the Treasury and the RBA.
Additionally, all graduates in our Graduate Program will undertake a formal learning and development program.
Some examples of what economics graduates may do
Our economics graduates may have the opportunity to be involved in the following:
- economic and labour market research and analysis of emerging labour market trends and developments
- providing briefings to Ministers and Department executive on the state of the labour market at a national, State, industry and regional level
- writing reports, preparing publications and Parliamentary Question Time Briefs for the Minister on the key ABS labour market data releases
- investigating labour market outcomes for disadvantage groups, including youth, the long-term unemployed, the low skilled and mature age persons
- contributing to the Australian Government’s submission to the Annual Wage Review
- undertaking our own surveys of employer recruitment activity and skills shortage research
- monitoring job vacancy rates
- undertaking industry and regional employment projections to inform policy development
- analysing the contributing factors assisting Australians to move from unemployment into jobs
- evaluation of government labour market programs and policies.
- and lots more
Who we are looking for
We are looking for graduates who are enthusiastic, energetic and have a strong background in economics, econometrics or other relevant fields such as finance, commerce, mathematics, statistics, data science or engineering. We are seeking candidates who have a strong work ethic, strong written and oral communication skills and well-developed interpersonal skills.
In addition to the eligibility criteria for graduates in the generalist stream, we are looking for graduates who have:
- Tertiary qualifications in economics ,econometrics or another relevant field of study such as finance, commerce, mathematics, statistics, data science or engineering.
- Strong written and oral communication skills, including the ability to communicate complex concepts to non-technical audiences.
- Well-developed interpersonal skills, including the ability to actively engage with co-workers and stakeholders.
- Enthusiasm, a strong work ethic, and an attitude that is open to learning and innovation.
Candidates from these fields may be required to demonstrate their aptitude and understanding of economic concepts in their applications and assessment.
Applying for the 2023 Graduate Program - Economics Stream
Applications for the 2024 Graduate Program will open from March 2023.
We are a participating agency in the AGCP Economics Graduate Stream which is part of the Australian Government Graduate Program (AGCP). Applications for the AGCP specialist streams and the 2023 program have now closed.
Our recruitment process
You will be advised at each stage of the process if you have progressed further.
If you have any questions, email email@example.com.