We have declared a Local Area Emergency (LAE) for the period 12 April 2021 to 26 April 2021 inclusive for all child care services located in areas affected by the recent tropical cyclone in the mid-west coast of Western Australia.
The LAE includes these towns:
Northampton, Kalbarri, Denham, Coorow, Carnamah, Moora, Paynes Find, Jurien Bay, Lancelin, Wongan Hills and Dalwallinu.
It also includes areas south of Carnarvon to Lancelin, namely the shires of:
Shark Bay, Chapman Valley, Morawa, Greater Geraldton, Mingenew, Three Springs, Perenjori and Irwin.
Families attending services in these areas will have access to additional absences during the LAE period if they have used their allowance of 42 absences.
The Community Child Care Fund (CCCF) Special Circumstances Grant Opportunity helps services stay open when something unexpected happens, such as a local emergency.
If you have to close
If you close your service, you must report the closure within 24 hours to:
- your state or territory regulatory authority, and
- your third-party software provider.
Help in an emergency
For more information about help available before, during and after an emergency visit our Help in an emergency page.
Support for families
Families affected by the cyclone may be eligible to receive additional support with the cost of child care through the Additional Child Care Subsidy (temporary financial hardship). Families must apply directly to Centrelink.
A range of payments and services is available for individuals recovering from a major disaster. More information on emergency payments is available on the Services Australia website.
- Update your vacancy details in the Child Care Finder
- Update your contact details, particularly email addresses, in the Child Care Subsidy System so you don’t miss important information. Do this via the Provider Entry Point or your third-party software.
- Ask families to maintain their enrolments. This will ensure their children receive continuity of care and early learning.
- Keep an eye on the Western Australian Government's emergency site for current emergency information in your region.