Search this site

Tips for searching this siteSearch documents

Types of child care and sessions of care covered by Child Care Subsidy

For an individual to be eligible for Child Care Subsidy, the child care must be delivered in Australia by an approved child care provider, and not be part of a compulsory education program.

An individual will not be eligible for Child Care Subsidy in relation to care that is provided to a child in any of the following ways:

  • aboard a transportation vehicle (such as a bus), unless the transport is merely incidental to a session of care being provided (such as to take children on an outing), or
  • in a domestic living arrangement on residential premises which is the child's own home; or when the child's parent or other primary carer stays with the child while the care is taking place, except for care provided by an In Home Care service, or
  • by an individual who does not hold a required working with children card/check (or equivalent) or where the card/check has been issued but the Department of Education and Training has not been notified of the card details, or
  • while the child is attending school or engaged in a formal schooling program (including a home schooling or distance education program) during any part of the session of care.

For more details about the special conditions, and exemptions, relating to sessions of care, see Family Day Care and In Home Care.