The AQF was last reviewed between 2009–2011. Since then there have been technological advances in education delivery, increased uptake of sub-qualifications and changes to standard international practice related to qualifications frameworks.
The Minister for Education and Training has appointed the following experts to the AQF Review Panel:
- Professor Peter Noonan (Chair), Professor of Tertiary Education Policy at Victoria University
- Mr Allan Blagaich, Executive Director of School Curriculum and Standards, WA Department of Education
- Professor Sally Kift Adjunct Professor, College of Business, Law & Governance at James Cook University
- Ms Megan Lilly, Head of Workforce Development, Ai Group
- Ms Leslie Loble, Deputy Secretary of External Affairs and Regulation, NSW Department of Education
- Professor Elizabeth More AM, Dean of the Australian Institute of Management School of Business
- Ms Marie Persson, Chair Industry Reference Group of the NSW Skills Board.
The Minister for Education and Training, and the Council of Australian Governments Education and Industry and Skills Councils, have approved the Terms of Reference for the review.
The review will involve broad public consultation in response to a discussion paper and will include extensive consultations with the sector. Release of a discussion paper and public consultations are expected in the second half of 2018, with the final report to be provided to government by June 2019.
The department contracted PhillipsKPA to provide contextual research for the review, related to international qualifications frameworks and domestic use of the AQF.
Further information on the consultation process will be released as it becomes available. Inquiries about the AQF Review can be made to AQFReview@education.gov.au.