The AQF was last reviewed between 2009–2011. Since then there have been technological advances in education delivery, increased uptake of sub-qualifications and changes to international practice related to qualifications frameworks.
The Minister for Education and Training has appointed the following experts to the AQF Review Panel:
- Professor Peter Noonan (Chair), Professor of Tertiary Education Policy at Victoria University
- Mr Allan Blagaich, Executive Director of School Curriculum and Standards, WA Department of Education
- Professor Sally Kift, Adjunct Professor, College of Business, Law & Governance at James Cook University
- Ms Megan Lilly, Head of Workforce Development, Ai Group
- Ms Leslie Loble, Deputy Secretary, External Affairs and Regulation, NSW Department of Education
- Professor Elizabeth More AM, Dean, Australian Institute of Management School of Business
- Ms Marie Persson, Member, New South Wales Skills Board, Chair, NSW Skills Board Industry Reference Group, Member, Monash Commission.
The Minister for Education and Training, and the Council of Australian Governments Education and Industry and Skills Councils, have approved the Terms of Reference for the review.
The Review Panel is holding Stakeholder consultations sessions in all capital cities and Albury-Wodonga and Townsville throughout February and early March 2019. The consultation sessions will focus on the key issues raised in the discussion paper. A presentation will be used in the consultation sessions to aid the discussion and assist in the development of submissions. The Chair of the Review Panel, Professor Peter Noonan has also written answers to a number of key questions regarding the review.
The review will be completed by September 2019. Enquiries about the AQF Review can be made to AQFReview@education.gov.au.
The department contracted PhillipsKPA to provide contextual research for the review, related to international qualifications frameworks and domestic use of the AQF.
In mid-2018 the department contracted Ithaca Group to investigate credit pathways in VET and Higher Education, to help inform the Review
Discussion Paper and Submissions
On 12 December 2018, the AQF Review Panel released a discussion paper, which has links to further information:
Public submissions are now open and must be received by 15 March 2019.
All interested parties are encouraged to make a submission using the submission form.
Submissions can be sent to AQFReview@education.gov.au.