The Foundation to Year 10 Australian Curriculum provides:
- curriculum content
- an achievement standard in each subject that all students should be meeting
- flexibility for teachers to personalise student learning and respond to student need and interest.
State, territory and non-government education authorities are responsible for delivering the Australian Curriculum, including decisions about implementation timeframes, classroom practices and resources that complement teaching of the Australian Curriculum. The Australian Curriculum, Assessment and Reporting Authority (ACARA) provides information and resources to support the teaching of the Australian Curriculum.
Following an independent Review of the Australian Curriculum, in September 2015 all education ministers endorsed the Australian Curriculum: Foundation to Year 10 in:
- eight key learning areas—English, Mathematics, Science, Humanities and Social Sciences, Health and Physical Education, Languages, Technologies and the Arts
- seven general capabilities—literacy, numeracy, information and communication technology capability, critical and creative thinking, personal and social capability, intercultural understanding, and ethical understanding
- three cross-curriculum priorities—sustainability, Asia and Australia's engagement with Asia, and Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander histories and cultures.
In December 2019 all Education Ministers agreed that it is timely to undertake a review of the Australian Curriculum. The review will aim to improve the Australian Curriculum F- 10 by refining, realigning and decluttering the content of the curriculum within its existing structure and underpinned by the education goals of the Alice Springs (Mparntwe) Education Declaration (2019).
On 12 June 2020 Education Council tasked ACARA to undertake the review. All eight key learning areas from Foundation –Year 10 will be considered in the review. The focus will be on refining and reducing the amount of content, with a priority on the primary years, to focus on essential content or core concepts.
The revised version of the F-10 Australian Curriculum will be subject to endorsement by all Education Ministers. It is scheduled to be published on an improved version of the Australian Curriculum website by the start of 2022.
Further information about the review including the Terms of Reference can be found on the ACARA website. Information is provided on the processes for consultation with the teaching profession and stakeholders.
The Australian Government supports the implementation of the Australian Curriculum by providing targeted projects and programs aligned to the curriculum.