What is the Blueprint?
The Australian Blueprint for Career Development is a framework for designing, implementing and evaluating career development programs for young people and adults. At its core, the Blueprint identifies the skills, attitudes and knowledge that individuals need to make sound choices and to effectively manage their careers.
The need for a unifying career development framework was identified by the Prime Minister’s Youth Action Plan Taskforce in its report Footprints to the Future (2001). The Taskforce found that career and transition services were inconsistent in quality and availability around Australia and there was an urgent need for a quality framework in Australia.
The then Career and Transition Services Working Group of the Ministerial Council for Employment, Education, Training and Youth Affairs (MCEETYA) acted by recommending to Ministers (through the Transition from Schools Taskforce) that a national framework for career development be developed and that the Canadian Blueprint for Life/Work Designs should be used as its starting point. Following MCEETYA approval in 2003, Miles Morgan Australia was commissioned to develop the new quality framework.
In 2005, the Blueprint was trialed in 26 sites throughout Australia, public and private sector organisations, including schools, universities, training organisations and companies. Subsequently in 2008, MCEETYA commissioned the refinement and roll out of the Blueprint. In 2010 the Blueprint was officially rolled out.
In 2012 a review was undertaken by Atelier Learning Solutions to examine the effectiveness of the Blueprint.
- Download a complete copy of the Blueprint
- Download the appendices
- Download the Blueprint A4 Brochure or A1 Poster
- Download Using the Blueprint with Young People
- Download Using the Blueprint with Adults
- Download a copy of the Blueprint Review
- Download Blueprint Case Studies
- Download Blueprint Worksheets
- Download Blueprint Special Purpose Tools: A Career and Lifelong Learning Skills Program for Primary Schools
- Download Blueprint Special Purpose Tools: Developing Career Management Competencies in Victorian High Schools
- Download Blueprint Special Purpose Tools: Other Tools
- Download Blueprint Special Purpose Tools: PowerPoint Presentations
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: Are there any copyright issues associated with using the Blueprint?
A: All Blueprint materials are readily available for use and may be reproduced in part or in whole, without charge or obtaining further permission.
Q: Can I obtain an additional hard copy of the Blueprint?
A: The Blueprint is only available in downloadable form.
Q: Is there any professional development (PD) on the Blueprint available for teachers or career practitioners?
A: There is no professional development provided via this site. You may wish to contact your state/territory department of education to enquire about any local training initiatives involving the Blueprint.
Q: Can we link to the Blueprint?
A: Yes, you are welcome to link to the Blueprint.