Dr Michele Bruniges AM
The Hon Simon Birmingham MP
Minister for Education and Training
CANBERRA ACT 2600
It is my pleasure to present to you the Department of Education and Training Annual Report for 2015–16.
The report reflects the department’s legislative reporting requirements and has been prepared in accordance with section 46 of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Act 2013. Subsection 46(1) of that Act and subsection 62(1) of the Public Service Act 1999 requires me to provide you with a report for you to present to the Parliament.
It reflects the requirements of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Rule 2014 in relation to annual reports for non-corporate Commonwealth entities and includes the department’s annual performance statements.
Also included are the Auditor-General’s report and the department’s audited financial statements prepared in accordance with the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability (Financial Reporting) Rule 2015.
As required by section 17AG(2)(b) of the Public Governance, Performance and Accountability Rule 2014, I certify that I am satisfied that the department:
- prepared fraud risk assessments and fraud control plans
- had in place appropriate fraud prevention, detection, investigation, recording and reporting mechanisms
- took all reasonable measures to appropriately deal with fraud relating to the department.
The report includes the information required to be laid before each House of Parliament in accordance with section 127 of the Australian Education Act 2013 for the 2015 year.
The report includes the 2015–16 Annual Reports of the:
- Tuition Protection Service, as required under section 170B of the Education Services for Overseas Students Act 2000
- Student Identifiers Registrar, as required under section 51 of the Student Identifiers Act 2014
- Trade Support Loans Program, as required under section 103 of the Trade Support Loans Act 2014.
Dr Michele Bruniges