Adult Migrant English Program


The Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP) provides up to 510 hours of English language tuition to eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants to help them learn foundation English language and settlement skills to enable them to participate socially and economically in Australian society.

On this page

AMEP and SEE 2017 Tender Outcomes

Assistant Minister for Vocational Education and Skills, the Hon Karen Andrews MP, announced the outcome of the AMEP and SEE tender.

For more detailed information on the outcomes of the successful AMEP service providers and contract regions for the new contract period of 1 July 2017 – 30 June 2020, see AMEP and SEE 2017 Tender Outcomes.

Revised business model for AMEP

As part of the 2016–17 Budget measures, the Australian Government has announced that it will be releasing a new business model for the Adult Migrant English Program (AMEP). The release of the model aligns with the new service provider contract period commencing 1 July 2017. For more information see the Revised business model for AMEP. 

Am I eligible?

You may be eligible for the AMEP if you are a permanent resident of Australia or you hold an eligible temporary visa.

In addition, you must meet the following time frames from the date of your visa commencement or arrival in Australia to remain eligible:

  • register with an AMEP service provider within six months (or 12 months if you are under 18 years of age at the time of registration)
  • commence your tuition within 12 months
  • complete your tuition within five years.

To find out if you are eligible or to register for the program you should contact your nearest AMEP service provider.

Where can I learn English?

The Adult Migrant English Program is delivered at around 250 locations across Australia in major cities as well as rural and regional areas.

Find details of your closest program service provider by state and territory on the AMEP service provider's page.

Help in other Languages

We have information about the AMEP available in other languages. To see translated information in your language, visit our information in other languages page.

English language classes

English language classes generally take place at learning centres and are delivered by AMEP service providers.

You can choose from a range of learning options including:

  • classroom tuition through either full-time or part-time study, including some weekend and night classes (where available)
  • distance learning through a package of learning material supported by regular telephone or internet contact with an AMEP qualified teacher
  • Home Tutor Scheme, which provides language assistance by a trained volunteer
  • self-paced e-learning using an online package to support and supplement your learning on an independent basis.

If you have under school-aged children, the AMEP also provides free childcare services so that you can attend classes.

Other government language programs

Provides up to 800 hours of language, literacy and numeracy training to eligible job seekers having difficulties finding employment due to low literacy, numeracy or English language competency.

Document translation

The Department of Social Services provides a free translating service for people settling permanently in Australia. Permanent residents, Australian citizens and some temporary and provisional residents can have personal documents translated into English during their initial two year settlement period.

Requests for free translation of personal documents from eligible persons can be lodged at any AMEP tuition centre, which will then dispatch them to a translation service provider. Clients need to provide evidence of their eligibility for this service when lodging documents for translation. More information about this service is available or you can contact your local AMEP service provider.

Where can I find out more about the AMEP?

Find out more about the AMEP by reading the English classes for eligible migrants and humanitarian entrants in Australia fact sheet

You can also:

Program evaluation

To ensure that the AMEP continues to meet the Australian Government’s objectives, the Australian Government commissioned an independent evaluation of the programme and potential synergies and the strategic alignment with the Skills for Education and Employment (SEE) programme in 2014.

These evaluations examined current funding arrangements, and the quality of programme outcomes, as well as programme appropriateness, effectiveness and efficiency. Stakeholder consultation and feedback obtained through surveys, focus groups and in-depth interviews, played a vital role in informing the outcomes of the evaluation.

The AMEP Evaluation report and SEE-AMEP Alignment report are now available.