AMEP service providers are contracted by the Department of Education and Training to provide English language tuition. They are also responsible for arranging, if required, free child care for clients with under school age children who are attending classroom tuition.
Additional information about the AMEP is available from the Department of Education and Training website.
Child Care Benefit Eligibility for AMEP Clients
Clients using approved child care for AMEP purposes are not eligible for that care as AMEP service providers cover the costs of all AMEP-related child care.
AMEP clients cannot choose to claim for sessions of care relating to attendance at AMEP tuition. All sessions of child care related to attendance at AMEP English language tuition must be billed to, and paid for, by the AMEP service provider.
CCB is payable for any non-AMEP child care purposes, provided that eligibility criteria are met. Clients need to apply to the Department of Human Services for an assessment of their eligibility if they choose to use care for non-AMEP related purposes.
Note: Parents with school aged children who require out-of-school hours care while participating in the AMEP can access Jobs, Education and Training Child Care Fee Assistance (JETCCFA).
Role of the AMEP service provider
The AMEP service provider is required to:
- locate and arrange appropriate child care for their clients under school age children while they are attending AMEP tuition (within three months of registration)
- ensure that, where possible child care, is located so that travel time between the child care service and the location of the AMEP class or the client's home does not exceed 30 minutes each way
- ensure that the child care service is approved or registered and meets State regulations
- pay the child care service the full cost of the AMEP-related child care.
Role of the Child Care service provider
The role of the Child Care service provider is to:
- bill the AMEP service provider directly for the sessions of care relating to AMEP tuition
- restrict reporting of sessions of care that are AMEP-related to AMEP service providers only
- ensure that child care relating to AMEP is not reported in attendance information - child care services should only include child care that is not related to attendance at AMEP tuition
- ensure that any absences from child care relating to AMEP tuition are not counted as absences for
- ensure that hours of child care used for AMEP purposes are not counted towards a parent's eligible hours for.
For further information on the AMEP please contact your local AMEP service provider. A list of AMEP Service Providers is available on the AMEP website or by contacting the Skilling Australia information line on 13 38 73 from anywhere in Australia for the cost of a local call.
For information regarding eligibility contact the Department of Human Services on 136 150.