Phase 2 of the Australian Government’s Literacy Hub was released on 3 November 2021, with over 200 new resources now available. The Literacy Hub, originally released in August 2020, supports the free voluntary Phonics Check for Year 1 students which is designed to be administered by teachers. The Hub also includes a phonics check and a reading awareness check for families, and online professional learning and resources for teachers, school leaders and families.
On this page:
The new resources include:
- information on phonics and literacy skills development
- online professional learning to assist teachers to deliver effective lessons in phonics
- tailored lesson plans, including best-practice teaching strategies and scope and sequence tools
- teacher guides and support for administering the Phonics Check for Year 1 students
- information for families translated into 11 languages
- over 50 videos illustrating best practices.
Families can explore the learning resources on the Literacy Hub to better understand how their child’s reading is progressing to support reading development with their child. For example, families can watch a video of a shared reading activity that includes conversations between a young child and a family member to improve their child’s early oral language skills and reading development.
Teachers can draw on a range of resources from the Literacy Hub to reinforce learning they are already doing in the classroom.
Further resources being developed include professional learning modules, shared reading texts with supporting teacher resources, case studies and resources for English as a second language or dialect (EAL/D) students and for those from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
This Australian Government initiative will help ensure that students who are struggling with learning to read are identified early using evidence-based assessment tools and that teachers have the support they need to act on the results.
For more information on the Literacy Hub or the Phonics Check, visit the Literacy Hub.